The previous blog entry for creating a daily work journal still applies pretty well, with a couple of modifications:
- The Work Journal is a template for the Engage section. By clicking “Add Page” in the right-side navigation, I get a clean Work Journal for the day.
- When finished, the Work Journal is moved from Engage to Organize.
The next few postings highlight some of the daily tasks performed.
Using the Pomodoro Technique has been useful to me. I use the 25 minute interval for work, with a five minute break. The app I use is Be Focused Pro, which seems to fulfill my needs.
Starting the timer is the first task of my day.
020-Create Work Journal
Blank Work Journal
This template provides a consistent tracking of the day. Steps to use the template:
- Click “Add Page” to create a new Work Journal from the section template.
- Use Ctl+Alt+D to replace Date with the actual date.
Note that date is in YYYY-MM-DD format to facilitate sorting of pages. This has to be set up in Windows as the preferred format for your machine.
- Use Ctl+Alt+T to enter the start time.
- Enter the work location for the day. Sometimes having a location helps me remember exactly what I was doing that day.
- Now that this is an actual journal page, and not the template, remove #kw_template. Substitute any relevant key words you might expect for the day.
- Use the Activities to track actual work for the day. Each activity should have its own OneNote page, and the Activities portion of the Work Journal should have a link to that page.
I also use the Goals for Today heading to to quickly capture things are on my mind as the day starts. This is less of a work list and more of a brainstorm. Anything that comes up here that takes more than two minutes becomes a new OneNote page to be processed and prioritized.
- The Fitness section is a personal section. During my Pomodoro breaks, I try to do a bit of therapy for my knees as well as remind myself to drink water. I also put down any injuries or pain I might be feeling just to keep track of how long problems may be persisting.
As you will see later, one of the daily tasks is Clear inbox. This includes clearing out the previous workday’s journal. During this time, I review the journal, update the hours and then move it to Organize.